Thursday, December 13, 2012

NO SHIT THERE I WAS

This is the introduction.

     In late 2007 I attempted to work through issues that I was having related to my assimilation from the military to the college lifestyle by writing a book.  This book was never finished due to my hard drive crashing.  This time I have decided to compose my thoughts on a blog so that in the event that my archaic computer decides once again to commit cyber suicide, I will not be forced into another three day "coping" binder.
    The transition from the military to college was a difficult era.  At that particular time in my life I felt a great deal of cognitive dissonance for having left the military to join the very social environment which we spoke of with disdain in our un-air conditioned tents in Iraq.  I felt like I had betrayed my brothers, abandon them in their time of need.  Telling the true stories of my experiences as a Ranger medic in Iraq and Afghanistan absolutely helped me to process and cope with what had taken place.  It was also very emotionally draining.  The feeling of writing just a couple of pages was analogous to running a marathon.  This was a big reason why I decided to not rewrite that book.  It has been over five years and I finally feel emotionally strong enough to rewrite some of those events.  However, the purpose of this project is not simply dedicated to the assimilation process from special operations to the civilian world.  My hopes here are multifaceted.  It is very important that the stories of the brave men with whom I served be told.  The greatest disrespect that we can show our nations warriors is to forget their sacrifices.  Throughout the course of these factual, (I reserve the right for up to 10% exaggeration during any of the pages that follow) real life stories I hope to shed light on the mistakes that have been made, the lessons learned and the projection of the world through the eyes of a warrior that no longer has a war to fight.  There will be foul language and obscure references that almost no one will understand. There will be stories that involve drinking, fighting, nudity, jail time and other felonies that never stuck. Do not expect a linier format. You've been warned.




No comments:

Post a Comment